With the kids now in their teens it’s time to start resurrecting the observatory!
Some of the things that need to be done:
- Short term goals (this summer)
- Thorough cleaning (the squirrels are annoyed to be losing their home!)
- Restain the outside of the building, the cladding has not weathered well
- Replace a warped 2×4 on fold done panel thats causing a gap between the roof and the panel
- Enhanced physical locks and hinges
- Security camera & alarm system (unfortunately much more urgent than 15 years ago)
- Install C8 on Sirius EQ-G for unattended astrophotography / photometry
- Interior updates – skin walls with plywood, paint, soft floor
- Rail covers to keep snow / rain out of the tracks for the roof
- Longer term goals (probably Spring 2020)
- Replace the shingle roof with steel
- With a lighter roof, automate rolloff of the roof using a gate opener
Still need to dig in the 2×6 boards seen at the base of the walls to deter critters from digging under the walls to secure a warm hidey-hole during the winter and add trim pieces in the corners to cover the edges of the cladding.